here, I oomphed the flavor by using more garlic and keeping both the onions and garlic raw before adding to the meat mixture. This made for a very strong flavored kebab, which is what I like. If you want a more mellow flavor, use only one clove of garlic and saute the onions and garlic in some olive oil until wilted, 5 minutes.
Cevapi (Balkan Meat Kebabs) (printable recipe)
Makes about 15 kebabs
1 lb 90% lean ground beef
1/2 lb ground lamb
1 medium yellow or white onion
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper
- Over a medium bowl, grate the onion with the largest holes of a box grater. Leave onion and juice in bowl.
- Add garlic, meat, paprika, parsley and salt and pepper and mix thoroughly, hands work best. (Note: I did not measure the salt I used, I would say it was about 1 teaspoon, don't want to skimp the salt here).
- Form the meat into small logs. Put the logs in a plastic container, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Cook the cevapi on a grill or grill pan. I used a grill pan, cooked them, turning often, for about 7-10 minutes each. You also could broil these.
- Serve with pita, yogurt and tomato cucumber salad.