Coconut Eggnog, from December 2012 Martha Stewart Living Magazine
Ingredients (for 6 servings)
2 14 ounce cans light coconut milk
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces spiced rum (I just used dark rum)
1/3 cup toasted large unsweetened coconut flakes
- Pour the two cans of coconut milk into a medium saucepan and heat over medium until simmering.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla and whisk vigorously until incorporated and light pale color.
- When the coconut milk is simmering, pour half slowly into egg yolk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour this egg mixture back into the coconut milk on the stove and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened.
- Cook only till the mixture just coats the back of a wooden spoon, not until it is a custard like consistency.
- Pour the eggnog through a mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Stir in the rum.
- Cover and refrigerate until cool, at least three hours.
- Pour into a pitcher with ice, serve in glasses and garnish with nutmeg and toasted coconut.