Grapefruit, Avocado and Shrimp Salad (printable recipe)
Adapted from Tracy Des Jardin Recipe in Food and Wine, found here:http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-and-avocado-salad
1/4 cup raw pepitas/pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 large grapefruit
1 avocado, cut into thin wedges
3/4 pound peeled and cleaned shrimp
1 head Boston lettuce torn into pieces
salt and pepper
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes till browned. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss 3 tablespoons of oil with lime juice, shallots and cilantro.
- Using a very sharp knife, peel the grapefruit, then "supreme" it, by running the knife down the sides of each segment, removing the segment from the pith. Do this while holding the grapefruit over the bowl with the dressing so the juices are captured. Let the supremes fall in the big bowl. Squeeze the remaining grapefruit pith so that the juices fall into the bowl.
- Gently fold in the avocado and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium skillet heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook till pink and curled, about 3 - 5 minutes total (I used frozen shrimp and it took about 3 minutes longer than this).
- Arrange lettuce on a plate, spoon the grapefruit mixture over, add some shrimp on top, spoon more of the dressing on top of that.