2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
about 2 lbs of strawberries (I mixed in some cherries I had as well)
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons orange liquer
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Add butter and with hands, break up the butter and mix in the flour, rubbing the butter into the flour so that it breaks up into pebble sized pieces. You could also do this with a fork.
- Add the buttermilk and stir together with a fork until the dough comes together.
- Combine the dough into a ball. Divide into four and make four round sized biscuits.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake biscuits for about 20 minutes - they will still be fairly light colored. Tester inserted in the middle should come out dry.
- Let cool on rack.
- To make fruit mixture, hull the strawberries and quarter if large. I left my little local gems whole. Combine with the sugar and the liquer in a small sauce pan, cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves and the strawberries are starting to give up their juice, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- To make whipped cream, combine the cream and sugar in the bowl of a mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat over high heat until soft peaks form. Add the vanilla and beat a few seconds to incorporate.
- Serve by spooning the berry mixture into a shallow bowl, place the biscuit on top and top with whipped cream.