Trout stuffed with ham and onions, adapted extensively from Random House
2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup of olive oil
2 small onions, thinly sliced
8 slices serrano ham
4 trout, cleaned, head on
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup chopped parsley
lemon for serving
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Fry the ham, 4 slices at a time until crisp and lightly browned. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the saute pan, add the onions and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. About 10 minutes.
- On a small plate, mix flour, paprika and salt and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon each).
- Stuff each trout with some onions and 2 pieces of ham.
- Close the trout and dredge lightly in flour.
- Heat the 1/4 cup of oil in the saute pan until smoking. Place two trout in the pan at once and fry for 6 -10 minutes per side, until lightly browned.
- Remove the trout and drain on paper towels while frying the other two trout.
- Serve with lemon and parsley.