Quinoa with Caramelized Onions, Apples and Pecans
1 cup quinoa, soaked for 20 minutes in water than drained
2 cups of water (or a chicken or vegetable stock)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted in a dry pan for 2 minutes
1 and 1/2 cups chopped granny smith apples
salt and pepper
more olive oil to taste
- To make quinoa, in a large saucepan combine the quinoa and water and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover and cook over low for about 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onions and continue cooking over medium heat for about five minutes, until translucent and starting to brown.
- Add the sugar and stir, then turn heat to low and cook until deep in color, about 10 - 15 minutes more. Set aside.
- When the quinoa is done, add some salt and pepper to taste. Then add the onions, apples and pecans and toss together, adding some olive oil to bind it together.
- This is good either warm or at room temperature.