Apple Ricotta Toasts, adapted from Food and Wine (for 4 servings)
4 thick slices of bakery white bread, or Texas Toast (I recommend Trader Joe's)
4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into wedges
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
chopped nuts of choice
- To prepare toast, heat broiler to high.
- Lightly butter both sides the toasts with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Put the toast under the broiler till lightly toasted - about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
- Set aside toast on serving plate.
- To make apples, melt the remaining butter in a saute pan.
- Add the apples and saute over medium heat until lightly browned and softened, about five minutes.
- Add the sugar and cook, stirring, 3 minutes more until lightly caramelized.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and the water and bring to a low boil. Cook until the sauce is syrupy and reduced, about 4 minutes.
- Spread some ricotta onto the toast, spoon the apples and sauce over. Cut in half if you like and serve.