1 cup of all purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
1 and 1/2 sticks of softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups of blackberries
coarse sugar or sanding sugar for the top of the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 5 by 9 inch loaf ban with cooking spray or do it the old fashioned way with butter.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Beat the butter, sugar and sour cream in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment or in a bowl with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. This will take 5 - 8 minutes with the stand mixer if your butter is really soft.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the extracts
- In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and add to the butter mixture in two additions, mixing thoroughly to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the flour mix in two additions.
- Toss the blackberries in the 1 tablespoon of flour and then gently fold the blackberries into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle top with coarse sugar.
- Bake for about 60 -65 minutes until a toothpick or other implement comes out clean.
- Let cook on rack for 30 minutes.