Cod and Pea Cream, from Saveur
2 and 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless cod filets, cut into single serving or smaller pieces
1 tablespoon mustard seeds, lightly crushed
3 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
3 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup half and half
2 tablespoons olive oil
dill for garnish
- Sprinkle cod with mustard seeds and let marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat butter in in a sauce or skillet pan until melted, add shallots and cook until softened, five minutes.
- Add peas and 1 cup of water and salt and pepper. Cook, partially covered over medium low heat for 10 minutes until sauce is reduced a bit.
- Set sauce aside and keep warm.
- Take 2 cups of the peas and combine with the half and half in a blender and puree.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and keep warm.
- To cook the fish, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add cod and cook until golden browned, about 3 minutes a side.
- Salt the fish.
- To serve, spoon some pea cream at the bottom of a plate, place cod pieces on top and then pour some of the pea sauce over. Garnish with chopped dill.