Basil Pesto, adapted from Rustico Cooking
This is a simple and deliciously cheesy Pesto. Because I was cheap, I substituted walnuts for the pine nuts, $15 + a pound is just too much for me!
1 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts (or substitute blanched almonds or walnuts)
2 and 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 cup shredded Pecorino Romano
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet, add the nuts and toast/saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the nuts, along with the basic, garlic cloves and salt to a food processor or blender and blend into a fine paste.
- With the motor running, slowly add the 1 cup of oil.
- Add the cheese and pulse a few times to combine.
- Serve with pasta, chicken, fish etc...