Seafood Salad (Lobster, Scallops and Mussels with Tomato Garlic Vinaigrette), adapted from Epicurious.com
4 lobsters, 1 and 1/2 pounds each, hardshell if you can get them
1/2 cup white wine
1 and 1/2 cups water
1 and 1/2 pounds scallops, if large, cut in half horizontally
2 lbs mussels, scrubbed well and beards removed
2/3 cups olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 pound grape tomatoes
- To cook lobsters, bring 8 to 10 quarts of water to a boil in a large stock pot. Plunge two of the lobsters into the boiling water headfirst. Boil, covered, for 6-10 minutes. They will be bright red. Since I am paranoid I often overcook lobsters a bit, but 8 minutes is a good sweet spot. Remove the lobsters from the water with tongs and set aside to cool. Repeat with the other two lobsters.
- When lobsters are cool enough to handle, remove the meat and chop the tails, or if you like, leave them whole as special treats. Put lobster in a large bowl.
- Bring wine, water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a simmer in a medium, deep pot. Add the scallops and cook until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes and no more. Remove scallops with a slotted spoon and put in bowl with lobster.
- Add the mussels to the pot and bring back to a simmer, cover, and cook until mussels are open, 4-6 minutes. Throw out any mussels not opened after 6 minutes.
- Transfer the mussels with a slotted spoon to the bowl with the lobster and scallops.
- Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve lined with paper towels to remove any sand and other gunk. Return the liquid to the pot, bring to a boil and reduce until it is about 1 cup, 8-10 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil, garlic, vinegar, 1/2 cup cooking liquid and 1/2 teaspoon of salt over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until they just begin to wilt, 3 - 5 minutes.
- Pour hot sauce over the seafood and toss to coat.
- Marinate chilled for 2 hours, but no more than 4.
- Serve and enjoy.