Scotch Spiked Cracker Jacks, adapted from the Kitchn
16 cups popped popcorn
1 and 1/2 cups roasted and lightly salted peanuts
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons scotch
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Note: You should use a candy thermometer for this
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Spray two large cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Combine the popcorn and peanuts in one really big bowls or two more reasonable sized bowls. You want to have room to toss the popcorn in the caramel, so two bowls may be necessary.
- To make caramel, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, scotch, molasses, corn syrup and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until a candy thermometer reaches 230 degrees. The caramel will be a medium to dark brown color. This took me about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and the baking soda. The addition of baking soda will turn the caramel into a milkier brown.
- Pour over the popcorn and peanuts and toss with two spoons to coat completely.
- Lay the popcorn out onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Take out and cool for 20 minutes.
- Break up into pieces and serve.
- Best when eaten day it is made. Store in airtight container for another couple of days. This stuff is like crack though, it won't last a couple of days.