Brown Butter Pumpkin Layer Cake with Bourbon Mascarpone Frosting
This cake came out like a dream. It is impossible at this time a year not to want to make as much as you can with pumpkin. I took a Brown Butter Pumpkin cake recipe from Fine Cooking and created this frosting myself - I wanted something a little lighter than cream cheese frosting but still rich with some tang. Instead of flavoring it with vanilla I went with Bourbon since I just came back from a friend's wedding in Kentucky and Bourbon was on the brain. This cake is totally unrelated to Freedom and apologize for that, but sometimes I get stumped!
Cake adapted from Finecooking.com
6 oz. (3/4 cup) unsalted butter; more for the pans
9 oz. (2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more for the pans
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. table salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 can pumpkin puree or 1 and ½ cups fresh cooked pumpkin
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
1 stick of butter
1 and 1/2 cups (or more) confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon
garnish of your choice (I used plain walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour (or spray) two nine inch cake pans. Line the cake pans with parchment (the parchment should be buttered and floured or sprayed).
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter till melted. Continue to cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Take off stove and let cool but not too much, don't want it to set.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugars, buttermilk and pumpkin puree.
- Add the flour mixture and combine with a rubber spatula.
- Whisk in the browned butter.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake until set in center (toothpick comes out clean) about 28 minutes.
- Remove and let cool in pans on rack for 5 minutes. Gently remove from pans and let cool on rack completely.
- For frosting, add butter to stand mixture and beat with paddle attachment till light and fluffy. Add the mascarpone and beat till incorporated. Add sugar till you get the desired consistency and taste. Beat in bourbon.
- Frost cake with offset spatula and serve.