Adapted from Epicurious
2 cups chilled heavy cream4 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
7 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- Heat 3/4 cup cream in a saucepan until hot.
- Whisk together yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a metal bowl until combined well, then add hot cream in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Remember to do this slowly or you will have scrambled eggs.
- Put this egg mixture back in the saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until it registers 160°F on thermometer.
- Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl to remove any bits of cooked egg and stir in vanilla.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or in a glass bowl in a microwave at 50 percent power 3 to 5 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Whisk custard into chocolate until smooth, then cool.
- Beat the remaining heavy cream in bowl of electric mixture until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Fold in a little bit of the cream mixture into the chocolate mixture, then gently fold in the rest.
- Now, if you just want regular chocolate mouse, spoon it into ramekins, bowls, glasses, whatever your pleasure, and refrigerate a few hours.
- If you want to mold it, get a metal mold, spray it with Pam. Spoon the mixture in and put the mold in freezer at least 4 hours. To unmold, dip the mold in hot water, and tap out onto a plate.